Achieving your breastfeeding goals
I am lucky enough to be both an LLL leader, Specialist Infant Feeding midwife and an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC). So how can this help you and your child?
La Leche League (Spainish for “the milk club”)
LLL leaders are breastfeeding supporters with a mother to mother focus. They are trained to listen and support, providing information on breastfeeding when needed. This is often through face to face groups (although many nationwide are now trialling online support), providing “the village” needed to raise our children. This support is free and run by volunteers, although a donation to the charity is always appreciated to keep groups running. Join the facebook group for details of local meet ups. La Leche League National Helpline (also free) 0345 120 2198.
International Board Certified Lactation Consultant and registered member of Lactation Consultants of Great Britain
IBCLCs are health care professionals who have provided 1000+ hours of infant feeding support, plus 90 hours of lactation-specific education and then passed a 4 hour board exam. All IBCLCs are certified by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (IBLCE) and in addition I am a specialist Infant Feeding Midwife plus I am registered with Lactation Consultants of Great Britain (LCGB). Therefore this is the highest qualification obtainable in breastfeeding in the world which makes IBCLCs a real fountain of knowledge for Infant Feeding Support!
The ideal package includes antenatal debrief and learning, plus postnatal support. This is x 1 antenatal visit and 2 x postnatal visits (plus email and text support as needed to achieve your goals).
Antenatal support- 1 visit to discuss your goals, review previous experiences, and teach the basics of breastfeeding to get off to as easy a start as possible, including all you need for antenatal colostrum harvesting. Postnatal support- up to 2 x visits to offer infant feeding support after the birth of your baby/ babies, and suitable care plan dependent on the situation and individual needs. Ongoing email and text support as needed so you can achieve your breastfeeding goals. This costs £245, (reduced to £125 if prefer all online).
Alternatively, postnatal consultation is only £85 face to face (£45 if online). Thankfully the work of a lactation consultant qualifies as an essential visit. I can do face to face (in PPE and providing everyone in the household is covid symptom free).
IBCLCs can help with all of the following (plus much more!):
- debrief/ counselling of previous infant feeding experiences
- antenatal colostrum harvesting
- positioning and attachment, “latch”
- concerns about low milk supply/transfer
- breast pain
- blocked ducts, mastitis
- inverted/ flat nipples
- sore/cracked nipples
- relactation or induced lactation
- transferring from bottle feeding to breast
- combi feeding, paced bottle feeding
- pumping/expression and storage guidelines
- planning for returning to work/education
- nursing strikes/breast refusal
- weight gain issues
- supplementary nursing systems (SNS)
- tongue and lip tie assessment for frenulotomy (division)
- alternatives to tongue tie division
- breastfeeding multiples- twins and more,
- nursing through pregnancy, dry nursing, tandem feeding
- how to wean from nipple shields
- how to wean off breastfeeding
- any concerns you may have about breastfeeding e.g. medications, covid19
Items available for sale include: (able to bring with me on visit/ post for cost)
Haakaa pump £18 (RRP £20)
Lansinoh cream 10ml £8 (RRP £10)
“100% addressed our specific needs” (Sutton Coldfield, 2017)
“Thankyou so much for your support, your knowledge has been invaluable” (Solihull, 2018)
“Definitely recommend, thanks for everything!” (Birmingham, 2018)
Check out my 5 star google rating!